San Diego’s Anthology
The hottest supper club puts our city on the musical map.
In the 1930s and 1940s, supper clubs reigned in the United States. A close kin to the speakeasy, but without required secrecy, the supper club gave its clientele a meal and a
night of entertainment together.
Decades later, Anthology revived and enhanced the concept in San Diego. Located in the heart of Little Italy, Anthology allows tourists and locals alike to experience fine dining while
listening to spectacular headliners.
The venue’s three-tiered layout gives guests in all sections an up-close experience with artists, who perform live in an intimate dining setting. The atmosphere is only increased when the lights dim, and a blue neon light casts an ethereal glow while high-vaulted ceilings lend incredible acoustics, giving the featured artist a chance to be heard performing live in an intimate dining setting.
Anthology is the vision of Howard Berkson, real estate developer who wanted to create “a contemporary version of the great supper clubs of the 1930s and 1940s in downtown San Diego, where he could combine his shared passions forlive music and fine dining,” marketing coordinator Casey Pukl says, recalling Anthology’s beginnings.
“It was the influence of growing up in Chicago where every neighborhood had its local spot to go and listen to great live music,” Pukl explains. “This experience led Howard and Marsha Berkson to conceptualize and start working on bringing this vision to life.”
Seating more than 250, Anthology’s musical line-up features Latin, jazz, blues, classic rock and more. Sacha Boutros, an international Latin and jazz singer, has been performing at
Anthology since the venue opened in 2007.
“I love Anthology,” says Boutros, who recently performed a tribute to her mentor Red Holloway, who passed away in February.
“My tribute concert was one week after his birthday,” Boutros said. “I just recently got back from tours to Europe, and was thrilled to be back at Anthology, performing in my hometown.” To celebrate five years in San Diego, Anthology expanded its hours at the beginning of the year. It may be a trendy supper club, but Sunday brunch and lunch from Tuesday to Friday are now available. Executive Chef Todd Allison, a San Diego native, is the mastermind behind Anthology’s impressive menu, which includes small plates like Creamy Chipotle Mac and Cheese and Crispy Baja Calamari, or full-sized entrees like Pan Roasted Sea Bass, House Made Fettuccini and Maple Leaf Farms Confit Duck Leg Cassoulet.
This fare can be enjoyed while listening to a host of headliners, which in the past have included Alanis Morissette, Brandi Carlile, Michael Bublé and Natalie Cole. August headliners
include Brazilian pop artist Luisa Maita, R&B singer Brian McNight, swing band Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and jazz group Jason Marsalis Vibes Quartet.
From swing to Flamenco jazz to the Blues, Anthology’s playlist is sure to please—and to put San Diego on the map.
“The owners Howard and Marsha Berkson … have built a world-class music venue in San Diego,” Boutros said. “I am pleased to say that I have had all my CD-release events there, and whenever I tour I spread the word about our gem in San Diego.”
August at Anthology
- Lusisa Maita, world music, Aug. 1
- Big Bad Voodoo Daddy, swing jazz, Aug. 3–4
- Jumping Jack Flash, classic rock, Aug. 3
- Brian McKnight, R&B and soul, Aug. 5–7
- Jesca Hoop, folk rock, Aug. 8
- Tal Wilkenfeld, funk jazz, Aug. 9
- Back to the Garden, classic rock, Aug. 10
- Ottmar Liebert and Luna Negra, flamenco jazz, Aug. 11–12
- Maria De La Paz, pop, Aug. 13
- Anthology House Band, jazz and R&B, Aug. 14, 21
- Grandmothers of Invention, classic rock, Aug. 17
- Thunder Road, classic rock, Aug. 18
- ABBA Fab, classic pop rock, Aug. 18
- The Brides of Funkenstein, funk rock, Aug. 19
- Salvador Santana, indie rock, Aug. 22
- Albert Lee, Americana, Aug. 23
- Lalah Hathaway, R&B and soul, Aug. 24–25
- Eric Johnson, blues rock, Aug. 25
- Christopher Cross, singer/songwriter, Aug. 26
- Jason Marsalis Vibes Quartet, mainstream jazz, Aug. 28
- Eleni Mandell, singer/songwriter, Aug. 29
- Kristen Hersh, singer/songwriter, Aug. 31
For times and ticket prices, visit anthologysd.com