Casarecce with Crispy Pancetta and Wilted Red Kale
Maria Desiderata Montana Kitchen
• 1 pound Casarecce pasta, cooked according to package instructions
• 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
• 4 oz. pancetta, finely diced
• 1 clove garlic, crushed
• 3 scallions, finely chopped
• 2 cups roughly chopped red kale, well-washed and trimmed of tough stems
• Sea salt, to taste
• ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Instructions for the pancetta:
Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in a large sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add pancetta and cook, stirring often, until crispy. Remove pan from heat and add garlic, stirring until just fragrant. Remove pancetta with a slotted spoon and place onto a small plate lined with a paper towel.
Instructions for the wilted kale:
Heat 1 tbsp. of oil in the same sauté pan over medium-high heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, for just a few seconds. Add kale and season with salt. Cook kale until it is wilted, about 4 minutes.
Instructions to serve:
Add a portion of pasta to each serving bowl. Top with some of the kale and pancetta. Garnish with Pecorino Romano cheese.
Feel free to substitute thick cut bacon instead of pancetta in this recipe.