Recipe for Dark Chocolate Olive Oil Cake with Strawberries
Chocolate is a Girl's Best Friend!
Cooking Techniques and Recipes with Olive Oil
Do you know what you're making for your sweetheart this Valentine's Day? Got a decadent treat or a delicious dish in mind to make your bae melt? Well look no further! Laura Bashar, author of Cooking Techniques and Recipes with Olive Oil, has provided an amazing and simple recipe for a fabulous chocolate cake! Want to learn more about author Laura Bashar and her new book? Check out our in–depth interview about Cooking Techniques and Recipes with Olive Oil. Then, check out the recipe down below for a healthy and memorable way to celebrate Valentine's Day!
1 cup unbleached all–purpose flour
1/2 cup unsweetened dark cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
3/4 cup dark chocolate chips
8 large strawberries, halved with the tops removed
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF. Apply nonstick spray to a 9–inch round baking pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
2. In a medium–sized bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
3. In a large bowl, mix sugar, yogurt, eggs, vanilla and olive oil together until combined.
4. In batches, mix flour mixture into yogurt and stir until combined. Stir in chocolate chips, then pour cake batter into the prepared pan.
5. Arrange strawberry halves over the top of the cake.
6. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Allow cake to cool in the pan for 15 minutes, then gently run a knife along the side of cake. Carefully remove cake from the pan and transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
8. Serve alone, dusted with powdered sugar, or add a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Top your cake with other fruits like raspberries, peaches, oranges and pears.
YIELD: 1 9-INCH ROUND CAKE
PREP TIME: 20 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 45 MINUTES
For more delicious olive oil recipes, check out Laura Bashar's new cookbook Cooking Techniques and Recipes with Olive Oil and follow her blog Family Spice.
For Related Articles Try: