A New Mattress is a Beneficial Purchase
Photography Jake Noren
More than 23,000 hours will be spent sleeping on a mattress over the course of our lifetime. That’s an average of eight hours per day, which the CDC recommends as the minimum amount of sleep we get each night. Your sleep is affected by the mattress that you’re sleeping on. You should rest blissfully for eight hours each night and wake up feeling refreshed and on top of the world. If you wake up feeling anything less, it is safe to say that replacing the mattresses a good idea. Spending such an exuberant amount of time sleeping on the mattress should encourage you to have a high-quality product in your bedroom. The fact that poor sleep and bad mattress can also affect your health further confirms the importance of a great mattress in the bedroom.
Many signs say that it is time to replace the mattress. Heed the warnings and start browsing the mattresses when the signs are there. You do not want to negatively impact your sleep even one night but sleeping on that mattress could very well cause it to happen. Learn some of the most common signs that you need a new mattress below.
- Age: How old is your mattress: Anything older than eight years should be tossed out and replaced.
- Damage: If the mattress has lumps and bumps, it is time to get something that is a little less difficult to sleep on at night.
Wake Up: If you do not wake up feeling like you slept great and feeling refreshed, consider replacing the mattress.
- Aches & Pains: If you experience aches and pains that subsides shortly after you start moving around, it is likely that the mattress is the cause of the problem. Replace the mattress and the problem is solved.
There are numerous signs that suggest it is time to replace the mattress that you are currently sleeping on. Do not ignore these signs and hope they'll go away. They will not and your sleep is all that is impacted in the process.
Choose the Right Mattress
Choosing the right mattress is not as hard as some people think that it is. First, make sure the right size mattress is chosen for the bedroom. Twin, full, queen and king size mattress options are available. Measure the room before you decide the best size mattress to purchase. You should have an even amount of space on each side of the bed which allows plenty of space for furniture, people, and comfort. Aside from the mattress size, also look for features and qualities such as:
- Brand: Do not assume that all brands are created equally because this simply isn't true when it comes to mattresses.
- Price: Determine the amount of money you can comfortably spend for the mattress purchase before you begin browsing.
- Style: Memory foam and pillow top two of the most popular styles of mattresses available, but there are many others to pick from as well.
- Firmness: Soft, medium, firm, and extra-firm mattress firmnesses are available to choose from at the mattress store. Most people avoid the softest mattresses because they lack the right amount of support. Many people opt for medium firmness but the firmest of mattresses work better for people with back pain and problems. Consider all of the types of firmness levels before you buy.
Don't Forget the Window Treatments
When you update the mattress, go ahead and buy new window treatments, too. This is a great time to style your bedroom in a manner that makes the entire area comfortable for a great night of sleep. Window treatments in a variety of styles and options make it easy to add privacy to the room. There are also blackout window treatments that further ensure that light doesn't come in the windows so you get the sleep that you need each night. Costs of window treatments vary but rest assured there is a type and a style suitable to your exact needs.
The Bottom Line
When you replace an outdated, worn out, damaged mattress or one that just isn't suitable for your sleeping needs, you will be thankful for the decision as you enjoy better quality sleep, fewer aches and pains, and many other benefits.